This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.


For the latest NHS updates please see the following website:
For patients concerned that they may have coronavirus or may have come into contact with someone who has:
The NHS 111 online service has created coronavirus pages that tell patients what they should do based on their particular circumstances. These can be accessed at:

Notice: We will let you know when we are booking Flu appointments for the 2020/2021 seasons. 

Primary Care Hubs - Extended Hours

Alternative Appointments at Partnering Health Ltd and the Tri Locality Care Ltd Service

Prescribing of over the counter medicines

Local Services Surveys - Have Your Say

To All Patients..

We are changing the way we book our appointments.

As of Monday, the 3rd December 2018, all appointments will be booked at Dibden Purlieu.

Please continue to use the current appointment number for:

Marchwood 02380 871233

Dibden Purlieu 02380 844546

Thank you for your understanding

New Forest District Council Services:-


You are here:  Home | Health and social care | Carers
There are many organisations that can offer support, information and advice

A carer is anyone who provides a great deal of care on a regular basis for a member of their family or a friend - but is not employed to do so. As a carer you may be able to get extra help both for yourself and the person you care for. There are many organisations that can offer support, information and advice. These are linked to below.

Hampshire Family Information Directory (Hampshire FID).  The directory provides a comprehensive range of service information for families, young people and practitioners across the county. It is a part of the national Family Information Direct programme - a suite of free services designed to serve families, or those working to support families.

The Care choice website has been developed by Hampshire County Council's Adult Services department as part of their aim to personalise services. Care choice includes two search facilities, one to find information about care homes in Hampshire and one to find information about organising care at home for Hampshire residents.

The site allows people to carry out a self-assessment to help them determine what care and support they may require and what is available to them.

It contains a wealth of information for carers and those who support friends or relatives in a more informal way.

Other useful links:


They is a drop in cafe at Hythe Library from 2.30-4.30pm on the first Wednesday of each month which provides support for those needing support for Dementia. You can also find information at:-

Latest news letter :Mind Andover


The Dementia-Friendly Hampshire Toolkit DOWNLOAD YOURS FOR FREE NOW>


They can offer:

  • Information, advice, advocacy and support.
  • Activities such as: social groups, clubs, befriending, trips out, lunch, afternoon teas, coffee mornings, computer classes, games, cards, chatting, making friends, fun, humour and having a laugh.
  • Exercise such as Yoga, Zumba, Extend, Tai Chi, Kurling
  • Opportunities to Volunteer and stay actice. 


Age Concern Hampshire  Tel:0800 328 7154  - email:

Brendoncare Tel: 01962852133 - Email:

Carers Together Tel: 01794 519495 - Email:



Children and Young People


Hampshire Family Information Directory (Hampshire FID)

Hampshire FID

The Hampshire Family Information Directory (FID) provides information on Services exclusively from Hampshire.

If you are unable to find your service or need to update your details please contact your local Services for Young Children (SfYC) office.

What is the Hampshire FID?

The directory provides a comprehensive range of service information for families, young people and practitioners across the county.  It is a part of the national Family Information Direct programme - a suite of free services designed to serve families, or those working to support families.

Have information for the directory?

We want to ensure that the Hampshire FID contains the most comprehensive range of information and services for families, young people and practitioners.  You are encouraged to visit the Hampshire Family Information Directory website and feedback using the form on the homepage.

In addition, links shown below relate to childcare, OFSTED regulation, funding for playscheme operators, our District Play Strategy, youth groups and a collection of important links for children, younger people, childcare providers, parents and carers.





The Council's Yellow Book is a guide that has been designed to help residents with disabilities access local services.  It has been produced in consultation with local residents and organisations.

The book contains useful contact numbers that may be required including Council services, Social Services, support groups and transport.

You can view the Yellow Book online.  However if you would like to receive a free copy of this booklet please email
Useful contact addresses:

Local Contacts

National Contacts


Healthy lifestyles

 Public Health

New Forest District council services have a vital role to play in the determinants of health such as housing, planning, community safety, leisure, community engagement, sewerage, clean water, waste collection, air quality, nutrition, education and self-esteem. The New Forest Health and Wellbeing Partnership Board promotes the health and wellbeing agenda across the New Forest to partners and the wider population and in providing strategic leadership based on identified needs and policy. The role of this district partnership board ensures local representation and action for health improvement.  Current health priorities are reducing obesity, reducing the number of people who smoke, raising awareness of the dangers of alcohol, improving access to sexual health services, reducing falls in older people and raising awareness of dementia. 


Infectious Disease Control and Investigation


We investigate food poisoning and certain other food borne illnesses which are notifiable.

The links at the bottom of this page give information on how we investigate cases of food poisoning, along with other useful advice. Also check out the leaflets under related documents at the foot of the page which give useful information on specific illnesses.


Certain infectious diseases are notifiable to the Health Authority and these are investigated by the Health Protection Agency or by officers of the Local Authority. The Hampshire and Isle of Wight Health Protection Unit is responsible for the surveillance, investigation, prevention and control of communicable disease in these counties.

The purpose of an investigation is to try to prevent the spread of illness within the community and to try and establish possible causes. Advice is also given to the patient on how to prevent the spread of disease within the home.

Many different sorts of bacteria (germs) can cause food borne illness. When food is kept warm, these bacteria can grow rapidly and reach dangerous levels within hours. The numbers of cases of food borne illness have increased dramatically over the past few years, particularly during the Summer months. Good food hygiene standards in industry and the home are vital to prevent food borne illness.

The incubation period (time taken from eating the food to feeling unwell) varies with each type of organism and in some cases can be up to 10-15 days after consumption of the food. It is important to realise therefore, that the last meal you ate may not be the cause of your symptoms.

The main causes of food poisoning and food borne illness are:

  • preparing foods too far in advance 
  • not cooking foods properly 
  • not defrosting foods correctly
  • storing foods incorrectly (i.e. too warm) so that bacteria can grow quickly
  • cross contamination of foods after cooking
  • infection from people handling foods due to poor hygiene

Who is at Risk? We all are, but babies, young children and the elderly can very quickly become very ill when infected. Pregnant women, people who already have a pre-existing illness, and anyone whose immune system is weakened can also be seriously affected by food borne illness.

What are the Main Symptoms of Food-Borne Illness / Food Poisoning?

  • diarrhoea
  • stomach cramps 
  • vomiting 
  • fever 
  • nausea 
  • headache 
  • dizziness

What to do if you have symptoms of food borne illness: Food borne illness can spread quickly, partly because everyone in the family could have eaten the same food and partly because the bacteria may be picked up by close family contact (e.g. nursing the sick). Viruses can also cause illness, similar to food poisoning and they also spread very quickly. If you suspect you are suffering food poisoning it is recommended that you visit your doctor as soon as possible, who might ask you to submit a sample for examination. Samples are useful in that they might be able to show which food-borne illness you are suffering from, or could rule out a food-poising organism. Viruses can also be detected. Consult your doctor immediately if the person affected is a baby, elderly or has an existing illness or condition or if symptoms are prolonged or severe (e.g. bloody diarrhoea).

If you or a member of your family are suffering from the symptoms of food poisoning, it is recommended that you follow the advice below to try and prevent the spread of the illness:

  • wash your hands after contact with the sick person, and before handling food.
  • do not use the same towel or face cloth as someone who is suffering with food borne illness.
  • clear up soiling accidents straightaway, wash with hot soapy water and disinfect with a disinfectant or bleach.
  • disinfect door and toilet handles, taps and the toilet seat after use and disinfect the toilet bowl frequently.
  • drink plenty of fluids while you are ill to prevent dehydration.

Contact us: By email,



Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website